Monday, September 10, 2007

I find 881 a marvellous piece of artwork. The audience must get one point straight; it is a musical. The genre itself suggests that the expression through the songs plays a more crucial role than the narrative element. One must at least watch a opera or any other musical first so that you will not get disappointed with the show. I can't help myself but to fall in love with the songs during the show. As I flow along with the lyrics and tune, I got totally immersed in it. Occasionally, I sway along with the music. Yes, of course, a few teardrops at the scenes of death. 881 is no flop; its incoherence, weird sense of humour and wild exaggeration should be forgiven and taken in a light-hearted manner. After all, spectators don't think too much about a getai, do you? Songs are one of the most primitive form of emotional expression. The word emotion itself carries no meaning at all in it the notion of rationality and logic. So when you watch 881, laugh when you should, empathise when you should and cry when you should. That's what its all about.

No comments: