Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Its a long weekend for teachers. National Day itself is a public holiday. For students and teachers, it's a practise that there will be no school after the National Day. I really need that break to think about things. After trying to teach for a week, I have to admit that the expectations of a teacher is not as simple as what my dad would always say. He does business and he said its a dog eat dog world out there. OF course, i know what its like in business. I read romance of the three kingdom. Its all about plots, schemes, politics, networking. Doing business is like fighting a war. He believes that kids are much easier to handle. He has been persuading me to stay in the line, with this reason as his main concern. Students are naive and adorable. Ha ha ha, i laugh at this fantasy. It is half-true. I have foreseen the problem before i start teaching. My tuition kid gives me the problems, but its only one kid. The key problem here is to do with my personality. I'm a carefree daoist advocate. Maintaining discipline and consistency is something of an opposite pole to my nature. I have always give in to my tuition kid, even if he does not do his assignments or disrupt my lesson. I never fixed the problem, but just flow along the river and be patient with him. It's more of like getting use to it, rather than eliminating the negative behaviour going on during lesson. We became more like friends instead as time pass and he would do his stuffs out of friendship more than the student-teacher respect. I do not see myself capable of extending this relationship to an entire class of 40 students in school for now. How do u make friends with people who don't listen to u; who purposely go against what u said?

Packaging your lessons in an interesting manner to captivate the students is a another huge challenge. I have always been a boring down to earth person, the best I can do is to fantasize myself as an ancient Chinese man and behave like one crazy man, that's all! Speak about creativity, that's just telling me to not be myself. There is the conflict between putting myself back to my comfort zone and to step out of it bravely to handle such challenges. How to know whether I can really succeed? Only time tells. My heart says to me to stop the nonsense and leave, but my mind says that u never know until u hang on tight and give it a shot. Which one is correct?

No comments: