Sunday, February 04, 2007

Thinking like a Mohist

What job can i do? What job can i look for? Should it be something I like? Should it be a job that pays well? Should money be the primary concern? Should my interest be of the primary concern? If I'm to examine the reasons, will I find an answer? Let me see.

If I do a job which pays well and it is something that i do not like, I will not enjoy the job. I will grumble and complain. I will be lacklustre and lethargic at work but at the end of the day, the money i get can be used for me to buy the things i want and do the things i want. I can save up the money and go overseas for example. In the end, i get to enjoy myself.  

If i do a job i like but pays little, I will enjoy myself at work and bear not to leave my workplace. I may become a workholic. I will find my efforts rewarding although i do not get sufficient cash for my own expenses. Lets say the cash is sufficient for the daily life expenses but not for additional extravagant luxuries, such as a spa or getting a car. Is that not enough?

After examination, it seems it is not clear which path holds a more valid reason to take after. The difference is just that the reward comes in different form, in terms of luxury the cash offers or the satisfaction from the job.

No comments: